- 2 & 1/2 Lbs beef shoulder roast (pot roast), quartered and browned in a frying pan.
Place beef in crock pot and add the following ingredients:
- 1/4 cup of beef broth (if available – optional)
- Lime juice of 1 squeezed lime
- 1/8 cup of orange juice
- 1 & 1/2 Teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 medium / large Spanish onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 poblano (habanero) pepper, diced (include half the seeds)
- 1/3 cup of canned fire roasted tomatoes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon of finely ground sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground red pepper (cayenne)
Cook covered in the crock pot on low heat for 6 to 8 hours, or for 3 or 4 hours on high.
Use two forks to pull and separate and shred the beef, and then stir the beef into broth. Let the beef simmer in the broth a little longer in the crock pot. Serve the beef with rice and beans, or make a burrito or enchilada wrapped in a flour or corn tortilla with cheeses, salsa and sour cream.
Serves 4 people (or only me).
It is really hot (chemically). You might consider leaving out the 1/4 teaspoon of the cayenne pepper and the 1 habanero pepper.