Accepting this honor for Alex is his wife Angela and daughter Tenille.
Monthly Archives: August 2017
Pipo’s Slow-Cooked Pork
Pipo’s Pork Ingredients:
- 2 to 3 pounds of pork tenderloin or pork shoulder
- 4 garlic clovers, pressed (or less is fine)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, rubbed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 10 ounces of sour orange juice – Naranja Agria / bitter orange (or substitute 2 parts fresh orange juice and 1 part lemon or lime juice)
- 1/2 cup dry white cooking wine
- 5 whole peppercorns (or more)
Cut the garlic cloves in half or in thirds, removing skin. Press the garlic cloves (smash them with the flat side of a knife on a wooden cutting board) and continue removing the skin.
In a small bowl combine and whisk together the sour orange juice, white cooking wine, pressed garlic, oregano, cumin, and Kosher salt.
Place pork in slow cooker (crock pot), pour sour orange mixture over the pork, and add the peppercorns on top.
Cover and cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours.
When the pork is sufficiently tender (almost falling apart), remove and place it on a cutting board, and use two forks to shred the pork (pull it apart).
Either serve the pork using the reserved cooking liquid as au jus, or return the shredded (pulled) pork back into the slow cooker along with the cooking liquid for another 10 to 20 minutes cooking on low.
Serve with black beans and raw diced onions over rice. You can use white rice or find a good recipe for yellow rice.