Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by remote host
You try to send an email from Mozilla Thunderbird, but your Exchange Server 2003 returns the email to you as undeliverable with the diagnostic message as follows:
The message contains a content type that is not supported <mailservername.domain.com #5.6.1 smtp;554 5.6.1 Body type not suported by remote host>
Reporting-MTA: dns; dns.yourdomain.local
x-Supplemental-Info: <YourExchangeServerName #5.6.1 smtp;554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host >
Your Exchange Server Logs probably show this message:
smtp;554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host
If you can send email through Outlook Web Access but not through Thunderbird email client, then there must be a problem with the handshake of encoding methods between Thunderbird and Exchange 2003.
SOLUTION: Open Thunderbird and try this:
- Go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Config Editor. See bottom right corner of this image for Config Editor button:
- Click on the “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
- Type “mime” into the Filter box.
- Double Click “mail.strictly_mime” to change the setting from “false” to “true”. Or, you can right-click “mail.strictly_mime” and left click toggle True
- Close all the windows that have popped up in the process.
- Restart Thunderbird.
- Test outgoing email now.